Saturday, September 06, 2008

Card-Shark Shooter

Yesterday math was fun, and pretty fast paced. I laid out math flash-cards in a circle around our "jump-o-oline" and set out a plastic quirt gun (empty). Then I "kidnapped" Steven from the kitchen, after blindfolding him. I carried him over the "ocean" and left him on a "deserted island" surrounded by sharks. As I removed his blindfold I told him that he had been supplied with a "spear-gun" and would not be safe to leave the island until all the card-sharks had been speared. Steven got right into the game, making great shooting noises (the kinds of sound effects that boys are born with) as he shouted out correct answers. Of course he killed off the weakest ones first (5=0+).When the easy stuff was all gone he started to lose interest in the game, so I interveined by singing the theme song to jaws while "swimming" the "card-sharks" around in the water closer to him. Then, as things became more dramatic and the answers became more difficult to find the "card-shark" deaths had to escalate. I threw them into the air each time he got the right answer and they went fluttering to their demise in random locations of our living room.

1 Comments:

At Fri Oct 10, 10:48:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHAT DREAMS ARE MADE OF.... I have to share that the other day Steven shared with Uncle Boogy his dream: He was on a canoe with kids from kids camp. 4 Alligators came and were bumping the boat, trying to tip them over. Scary! Then 6 more alligators showed up, which, Steven informed us, made 10 alligators!

No one was eaten by alligators, but I wonder where the water creature plus math combo came from? lol Great creative teaching Jeanine! Love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home